So I released Spacebrick on Kongregate today, 8 weeks or so since thinking it up for Ludum Dare 19. 8 weeks of developing a game about a brick smashing things in space and if I may say so, I really like it. Spacebrick!
The Unity Game Contest has 2 rounds of judging – first, the public votes for their top 25. That means you! So assuming you’re reading this blog because you like my games* you could go ahead and play it here: with a nice high vote to help And the second part of the judging involves a panel of judges or something. If you happen to be one of them, even better!
~5MB compressed unity3d file.
8 weeks of development.
~5000 lines of code
a bunch of sound effects and music
A whole lot of art and shaders.
*this assumes someone reads my blog, which stats suggest they mostly don’t.
So about 6 weeks ago I created Spacebrick and the Window to the Stars for Ludum Dare 19 – I’ve been updating it for the Kongregate Unity Contest which has about 2 weeks left and my progress can be found here.
So as a nice pretty picture post, this is a not quite finished version of the enemies currently in-game. Every one of these enemies has its own way of fighting and different strategies are best at defeating them.
Some of these textures look a little low res – in the game you can’t tell at all, and I’ll probably render a nice big version of this on release, using the much larger source textures.
EDIT: updated with newer, bigger picture. Click for full size.
Over the past weekend, me and over 70 other Melburnians made games for the global game jam – out of all the competiton, we were lucky enough to win the “Best Game” award with Ultra Happy Death Virus HD
Now I need to go to sleep in this room that seems so much nicer when I think about how little other people are snoring in it! Thanks to everyone there who made it great.
Global Game Jam, JAAAAAAAAAAAAM
Jam is tasty. It also involves making games.
Yes, there’s a game jam on at Swinburne, starting 2 hours ago. Shit. Better catch up.
The jam is 24 hours long, and unlike many, each group has a completely different theme, or pair of them. Our team has “Sushi” and “Pyrrhic Victory”. WHAT THE HELL?
Uh but yeah, we have a game idea about delivering sushi and sacrificing the fishy goodness to ensure safe delivery. Using Unity 3 and general wizardry.
JAAAAAAAAAAAAM, Swinburne Game Jam #1
But has nothing to do with stealth.
Over the last week-ish I made a game about running around crazy tunnels that mess with gravity and your head while painting it with rainbows and running away from burning mist screaming LET ME OUT DO THESE TUNNELS EVER END!? The answer is no. On the other hand, why would you want to leave?
Oh right, that burning mist thing.
Anyway, it looks like this:
And you can play it here.
Or Download it for Windows
Or Download it for MacOS X
People who actually play more than one of my games may notice that I can only compose one type of music. Still better than zero, right?
Experimental Gameplay Project, The Tunnels of Many Rooms
I actually improved on the state of Desktop Domains from last week. Of course, I haven’t improved much because I really have to do some work for uni studies, but you can grab it here.
Desktop Domains, Experimental Gameplay Project
So it’s hit 7 days of dev time and I don’t really have a game as such. But what I do have looks pretty and works over the network so here it is!:
It’s an unfinished RTS/god game designed to be a sort of 15-30 minute version of Civ as Desktop Dungeons is to roguelikes. (when I get it that far) I’m still working on it, so if you like the idea, bookmark the page! The buttons in the left of the menu area are graphics options, set to the highest (and slowest) options by default.
Current Prototype: Link
You may need to update your copy of DirectX.
Also, you can press escape to exit.
Desktop Domains, Experimental Gameplay Project
This weekend I made a game in under 48 hours on the theme “Enemies as Weapons”. It turned out pretty awesomely even considering interruptions like the Australian election (going horribly wrong D: ) and the power being off for 9 straight hours! The music was recorded using a mobile phone, too.
It’s probably worth reading the in-game instructions briefly, but that’s up to you.
You can play it online here.
Or download it for Windows here.
Or download it for Mac here.
Or if you really want to, you can download the Unity source project here.
To use the source, unzip it into a folder, load up unity and point it to that folder as the project folder.
I have actually got the aforementioned multiplayer “life” working, with no observed desyncs in 20 minutes or so of play time. Network code is a serious pain to develop, but it’s worth it since it should be easier next time. Followup targets: Server discovery and NAT traversal.
As may be obvious, I’m coding a network game. Specifically, a networked version of Conway’s Game of Life, mainly chosen because if things go out of sync, it will be blindingly obvious. (and it bears some similarity to a game I’m planning to make, having tiles)
So far, it’s ended up with me coding quite slowly and wondering if my simulation prediction model is going to use up way too much CPU (almost being on the level of brute force).